[Yum] Quoting from the man page Was Re: (no subject)

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun May 2 22:00:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Ian Richardson wrote:

> hey.
>
> Please can you tell me what the difference is between...
>
> yum update
> yum upgrade
> yum install

Cut and pasted from the yum man page:

update        If  run without any packages, update will update every currently
              installed package.  If one or more packages are  specified,  Yum
              will  only update the listed packages.  While updating packages,
              yum will ensure that all  dependencies  are  satisfied.   If  no
              package  matches  the given package name(s), they are assumed to
              be a shell glob and any matches are then installed.

upgrade
              Can take packages as arguments,  upgrade  is  just  like  update
              except  that it includes package obsoletes in its calculations -
              this makes it better for distro-version  changes,  for  example:
              upgrading from somelinux 8.0 to somelinux 9. *deprecated* - this
              command may be removed in the future

install
              is used to install the latest version of a package or  group  of
              packages while ensuring that all dependencies are satisfied.  If
              no package matches the given package name(s), they  are  assumed
              to be a shell glob and any matches are then installed.

> because they all appear to do different things. Is it possible to get it to
> run all of them at the same time?

No. They are different operations.

Tom