[Yum] No redhat 7.0 support?

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Tue Mar 30 14:14:03 UTC 2004

Hedemark, Magnus wrote:
> seth vidal [mailto:skvidal at phy.duke.edu] said:
>

>>Since 7.0 isn't being maintained anymore I don't think anyone
>>is hosting
>>a repository for it.
>

> 7.1-8.0 aren't maintained anymore, either.  Someone at some point decided on
> their own to drop 7.0, which is just fine, but I don't think it's fair to
> say that the only reason there is no repository is because RHAT doesn't
> support that version anymore.
>
> For that matter, RHL 9 is going to be EOL in April.  I suspect people will
> continue to run it for some time despite that.  Heck, I still know of RHL
> 6.2 boxes in production (though not in my server room).

For security updates check out Fedora Legacy at
http://fedoralegacy.org/
There is current support for RedHat 7.2-8, and there is plans for support for
9 as well.
But don't expect miracles.  This is really just a place where alot of us
admins that have to support these older releases have combined our efforts.
So if you go there and just belly-ache about 'why isn't redhat 7.0 supported'
you will get the answer 'sounds like your volunteering'.

>>You should consider upgrading to a higher version
>>of RHL or of Fedora Core or of RHEL. 7.0 will become more of
>>a security
>>risk as things go unpatched for longer.
>

> By this time next month, there will be no supported version of RHL left.
> Fedora Core has a very rapid development cycle, such that you will be
> upgrading your server about every six months if you want to keep up with
> patches.
>
> If you're going to go through the pain of upgrading your machine anyway, I
> suggest checking out the RHEL clones like CentOS, Tao and White Box.
> Patches will be available for years to come.

There are big problems with upgrading from a 7.x release to one of RHEL
releases.  There can be very big incompatablilities.  Both with compilers and
with the kernel itself.  That warning being said, yes, if you can, go for it,
but try it on one machine first and make sure all the programs you need, work.

If you find that you can't really go for an enterprise release, and need to
stick to a 7.x release, I'd say upgrade to RedHat 7.3, and use Fedora Legacy.

Troy