[Yum] No redhat 7.0 support?

Hedemark, Magnus mhedemark at trueposition.com
Tue Mar 30 12:52:05 UTC 2004

seth vidal [mailto:skvidal at phy.duke.edu] said:

> Since 7.0 isn't being maintained anymore I don't think anyone
> is hosting
> a repository for it.

7.1-8.0 aren't maintained anymore, either.  Someone at some point decided on
their own to drop 7.0, which is just fine, but I don't think it's fair to
say that the only reason there is no repository is because RHAT doesn't
support that version anymore.

For that matter, RHL 9 is going to be EOL in April.  I suspect people will
continue to run it for some time despite that.  Heck, I still know of RHL
6.2 boxes in production (though not in my server room).

> You should consider upgrading to a higher version
> of RHL or of Fedora Core or of RHEL. 7.0 will become more of
> a security
> risk as things go unpatched for longer.

By this time next month, there will be no supported version of RHL left.
Fedora Core has a very rapid development cycle, such that you will be
upgrading your server about every six months if you want to keep up with
patches.

If you're going to go through the pain of upgrading your machine anyway, I
suggest checking out the RHEL clones like CentOS, Tao and White Box.
Patches will be available for years to come.