[Yum] yum-queue proof-of-concept script

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Fri Mar 26 05:16:09 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 16:03 +0200, Mihai Maties wrote:

> I made a script (attached) based on Seth's idea about a queueing system addon
> to yum. The main difference is that I'm using another aproach on the queue:
> instead of queuing commands to be issued by yum I'm keeping lists of packages
> to be installed, removed, updated etc.

That won't work nearly as well as you'll be making assumptions about the
commands as you go.

ie: yum-queue install foo*
    yum-queue erase foo*

not really the same command and you can't treat foo* as one package.

> I didn't think that xml is best suited for this aproach therefore the script
> is written in bash and uses a file for saving the queue

I disagree and I also tend to follow the rule that if you find yourself
writing more than 20 lines of bash, you need to change languages - an
exception to this rule is init scripts.

The other problem with the save format is:
1. the separators are going to be a problem
2. the storage mechanism will cause problems too

Specifically you use space separators and "" segments

When things start getting very complex, as there are no character
limitations on what can be in a package name, it's going to get hairy.

Finally, I'd prefer if things for yum all stay in the same language,
having a hodge podge of languages is hard to deal with and it's just not
sensible in the long run.