[Yum] About the log level and information messages

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Thu Mar 25 18:46:23 UTC 2004

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 07:10:35PM +0100, Aurélien Degrémont wrote:
> I'm using Yum for few months and i'm quite satisfied by it.

Great!

> When using it, I found its messages were to verbose and annoying, so i
> change the debuglevel flag into yum.conf to 1.
> This was quite well, but i was surprise when I see some messages like this :
>
> [lelfe at syunikiss lelfe]$ sudo yum update
> Is this ok [y/N]:
>
> Errrr.... ? What's ok ?
> Of course the question concerned the packages that will be
> updated/installed/removed, but they were not displayed, due to the too
> small debug level.

Sure.  they're associated with loglevel 2, and you set your threshold
to loglevel 1.  Normally, one would also do "-y" in that situation.

> I think these informations are really important and should be always
> displayed.

Even when using "-y" in a cron job?  I don't think so.

> So I made a small patch to correct this. It just change the
> related log level inside clientStuff.py .

> I think it may be interesting for yum to check these messages and their
> log level. Each log level must provide more informations than the
> previous one, but they must be ordered by importance level. Information
> concerning what must be installed/removed,... are very useless and i
> don't understand why they're only displayed from the log level 2.
> Level 1 could be a good level which displays only the most important
> informations (0 could be keep to a no-message levels or
> only-error-messages level).

The problem is that ordering things "by importance level" is both
subjective and situation-dependent.  Nonetheless, your point is well
taken.  We'll try and take a look at the log levels for the new
version (HEAD).  Logging is getting overhauled anyway, and so it's a
good time to look at the levels again.  We probably won't accept your
patch for the current version because it would likely screw up lots of
people's cron jobs.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G