[Yum] yum.cron, download only

Nathan G. Grennan yum at cygnusx-1.org
Thu Mar 25 08:29:29 UTC 2004

  I was talking with a friend about yum, and he was complaining the the
default for the cron job does automatic updating, which isn't safe. He
suggested download only.

  I came up with a replacement that downloads any new updates, and then
outputs the new files. The output of the cron job will be sent as an
e-mail to root in most cases. It is written in bash like the old script,
but unlike the old script requires date(coreutils), find(findutils), and
tr(coreutils) to process the information. It should be a drop in
replacement. Yes, I do realize this could be simplified by modifying yum
to doing most of the work, or by just taking the raw output from yum.

  The script runs, you receive the e-mail, and you verify it is safe to
update the packages in the last, and then you would need to run "yum
update yum ; yum update" on the server as root. Then restart any
services as necessary, and fix any problems that crop up.

  I think this or something like it should replace the current default
cron job script. A configuration option could even be made to do
download only or automatic updates in the same script.

  I welcome any improves to the script or the idea in general.

http://proton.cygnusx-1.org/ydo