[Yum] Yum and Python Versions

salvatore salvatore at palmisanonet.com
Wed Mar 24 15:51:29 UTC 2004

Fedora Core 1 and Yum 2.0.5

When I issue a 'yum info python2*', I get:

***
[salvatore at incom salvatore]$ yum info python2*
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Stable)
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Testing)
Server: Fedora.us Extras (Unstable)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (testing)
Server: Livna.org - Fedora Compatible Packages (unstable)
Server: macromedia.mplug.org - Flash Plugin
Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Released Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
Looking in Available Packages:

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name   : python2.3
Arch   : i386
Version: 2.3.3
Release: 2pydotorg
Size   : 26.49 MB
Group  : Development/Languages
Repo   : Locally Installed
  Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
language.  It incorporates modules, exceptions, dynamic typing, very high
level dynamic data types, and classes. Python combines remarkable power
with very clear syntax. It has interfaces to many system calls and
libraries, as well as to various window systems, and is extensible in C or
C++. It is also usable as an extension language for applications that need
a programmable interface.  Finally, Python is portable: it runs on many
brands of UNIX, on PCs under Windows, MS-DOS, and OS/2, and on the
Mac.

Name   : python2.3-devel
Arch   : i386
Version: 2.3.3
Release: 2pydotorg
Size   : 1.87 MB
Group  : Development/Libraries
Repo   : Locally Installed
  The Python programming language's interpreter can be extended with
dynamically loaded extensions and can be embedded in other programs.
This package contains the header files and libraries needed to do
these types of tasks.

Install python-devel if you want to develop Python extensions.  The
python package will also need to be installed.  You'll probably also
want to install the python-docs package, which contains Python
documentation.
***

Indicating python 2.3 is installed.  When I issue a 'python -V', I get:

***
[salvatore at incom salvatore]$ python -V
Python 2.2.3
***

Indicating python 2.2.3 is installed.
The same goes for issuing a 'rpm -qi python':

***
[salvatore at incom salvatore]$ rpm -qi python
Name        : python                       Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.2.3                             Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 7                             Build Date: Wed 15 Oct 2003
11:42:54
  PM EDT
Install Date: Fri 27 Feb 2004 07:51:11 PM EST      Build Host:
porky.devel.redha
t.com
Group       : Development/Languages         Source RPM:
python-2.2.3-7.src.rpm
Size        : 15474137                         License: PSF - see LICENSE
Signature   : DSA/SHA1, Tue 28 Oct 2003 06:46:52 PM EST, Key ID
b44269d04f2a6fd2

Packager    : Red Hat, Inc. <http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla>
URL         : http://www.python.org/
Summary     : An interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
language.

Description :
Python is an interpreted, interactive, object-oriented programming
language often compared to Tcl, Perl, Scheme, or Java. Python includes
modules, classes, exceptions, very high-level dynamic data types, and
dynamic typing. Python supports interfaces to many system calls and
libraries, as well as to various windowing systems (X11, Motif, Tk,
Mac, and MFC).

Programmers can write new built-in modules for Python in C or C++.
Python can be used as an extension language for applications that need
a programmable interface. This package contains most of the standard
Python modules, as well as modules for interfacing to the Tix widget
set for Tk and RPM.

Note that documentation for Python is provided in the python-docs
package.
***

Any ideas why yum thinks 2.3 is installed and rpm thinks 2.2.3 is installed?
Let me know if there's some other metadata I should provide as well.

--
.salvatore
http://www.sienar.org/