[Yum] yum and publicfile

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Mon Mar 15 22:08:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 03:48:10PM -0600, mw-list-yum at csi.hu wrote:
> Responding to a privately sent message since other people might have
> felt the same.
>
> Sorry, but I certainly did not mean to be rude at all.  Really!  It is
> not in my interest: I'd like to see yum work with publicfile.  If I am
> rude, I am ignored.
>
> Here is my recap:
>
> ---Seth tells me that publicfile is broken because it is not http/1.0
>    compliant, so I go to check, and show the experiment that seems to
>    indicate that publicfile is http/1.0 compliant.
>
> ---Mike tells me that instead, the problem is with publicfile's
>    http/1.1 compliance, namely that it does not send content-length.
>    So then I go to the rfc, and I find that if Transfer-Encoding is
>    sent, then Content-Length _must not_ be sent, hence I show the,
>    IMO, appropriate section of the rfc to the list.

OK, I see where the confusion erupted.  I didn't say it wasn't
compliant, I just said (or rather, showed) that when used in http/1.1
mode it doesn't return a content-length header.  The issue is not that
publicfile is violating the rfc.  As far as I can tell, it isn't.  It
is, however, behaving in a way that's different from most other
servers.  We were using that common (but not rfc-mandated) behavior to
deal with a complex issue.  This is what I called the "icky hack" on
our part.

I repeat.  I'd really like for us to change this behavior.  It breaks
a small number of people's setups (like yours) but the bigger issue is
that it's just damned icky.  The new urlgrabber (under development)
does not have this check in it, and I'm hoping we can do without it
completely.

> I viewed yum's behavior as a different issue.  Indeed, it is one thing
> to say that publicfile is not http/1.1 compliant, and it is another
> thing why yum behaves the way it behaves.  So while I responded to one
> issue (namely, based on rfc2616, publicfile seems to be http/1.1
> compliant), I did go to the list archive, and I found that the only
> way to search it was to download the list mbox---which crashed my
> mozilla.  So I am in the process of trying to figure out how to
> download and search the archive.
>
> Would help if somebody told me the thread or date.

using google with site:lists.dulug.duke.edu does a pretty decent job.

yum content-length site:lists.dulug.duke.edu

that will get you started.  Also check out the thread entitled YUM+FTP

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G