[Yum] Issues trying to keep Fedora Core devel up-to-date with yum

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sun Mar 14 20:46:13 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 10:12 +0200, Ville Herva wrote:

> [I'll follow the archive, but please Cc: me]
>
> I've been trying to keep my Fedora Core devel installation automatically
> up-to-date with a nightly "yum update" run from cron. This is proving
> difficult. I'll list my issues (with a risk that some of them have been
> dealt with previously on the mailing list - sorry):
>
>  - Whenever yum detects it needs to update a .noarch package (such as
>    yum or hwbrowser), it tries to load it from s390x directory, not from
>    i386, eg.
>
>          .../fedora/linux/core/development//s390x/Fedora/RPMS/hwbrowser-0.15-2.noarch.rpm
>    instead of
>          .../fedora/linux/core/development//i386/Fedora/RPMS/hwbrowser-0.15-2.noarch.rpm

This has been covered on the fedora lists.

don't use the top level repository for rawhide/development - append i386
to the baseurl you have specified.

>  - If one of the packages to be updated fails the dependencies (eg.
>    xmms-1.2.10 can't be upgraded since xmms-mp3 needs xmms-1.2.9 which
>    is not available), the whole "yum update" fails. It would be nice if all
>    the other packages would still be upgraded even if xmms needs to be
>    left unupdated. I realize this must have crossed yum developers' mind
>    and it's probably hard to do (judging from the time it takes to calculate
>    the dependencies as is), but I can't help bringing it up.

please read through the mailing list archives about this first.

>    it would be nice to see something like
>
>      [update: gnome-desktop   2.5.90-1.i38    ==> 2.5.91-1.i386]
>      [update: libgnomeprint15 1:0.37-8.1.i386 ==> 1:0.37-8.2.i386]
>      Is this ok [y/N]:

It's not something that, in the past, we've had the information
available to do. It's something I've put some time into making sure is
available for future major versions.