[Yum] newbie question: /var/cache/yum/base/header.info cannot be found

Jim Garrison jhg at acm.org
Sat Mar 13 18:12:33 UTC 2004

I've been using up2date wity yum repositories, but want to try
switching to using yum directly. All attempts to run yum result
in this message.

> [jhg at athena etc]$ yum update
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> Error - /var/cache/yum/base/header.info cannot be found
> Please ask your sysadmin to update the headers on this system.

Does "this system" refer to mine or the server?

If it's mine, how do I create header.info?
If it's the server, why's it trying to access something in /var,
which it can't possibly get to through http: or ftp:?

/etc/yum.conf (excerpt)

> [base]
> name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Base
> baseurl=http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

Misleading error message aside, I assume yum wants me to build an initial
database of what's actually installed on my system, and put it in
/var/cache/yum/base.  However, a thorough search of the yum website,
the yum RPM contents and Google Groups turned up nothing on initial
configuration and how to set things up.

A pointer to this information would be most welcome

Thanks

Jim Garrison
jhg at acm.org