[Yum] Using yum to update rpms without installation

Mihai Maties mihai at xcyb.org
Wed Mar 10 08:41:33 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 23:13, seth vidal wrote:
> look at the latest daily releases --download-only should be there, to be
> honest I don't think the functionality you describe is really what --
> download-only does, moreover I'm not sure if it belongs in yum. I think
> it would be perfectly reasonable to have a short script that reads a set
> of yum repositories and returns to you the newest packages (keyed on
> name, arch) from that set.
>
> It's probably 2 hours of work at most.

I believe that one of the main goals of the feature requested by the original
poster was to download a set of packages including its dependencies. I didn't
have the chance to look over "--download-only" but I think that if you can
issue "yum --download-only k3b" and get the k3b, libmad, flac..etc packages
it would be great.

Some people cannot afford the bandwith/disk space to mirror entire
repositories so just keeping a set of packages up to date (together with
their dependencies) it would be a really good idea.

Mihai