[Yum] bug in yum 2.0.5

Troy Dawson dawson at fnal.gov
Wed Mar 3 21:57:34 UTC 2004

Tuomo Soini wrote:
> I just enabled mysql support in postfix rpm. When I upgraded postfix
> package on my test machines, I got errors because yum installed postfix
> first and after postfix it installed mysql.
>
> When postfix: Requires: mysql
> shouldn't yum install those req's first?
No, because rpm wouldn't necessarily do that.
If you simply HAVE to have something installed first, you need to use the
variable PreReq
Why?
Oh, lot's of reasons I suppose, but that would need to got redhat's rpm
mailling list.

> Now package upgrade won't work correctly because mysql libs are missing
> when postfix commands are run on %pre scriptlet to update old config to
> new format.

Yup, that happens, even when you arn't using yum.
Triggers is also a nice thing too, for if something might get installed at
some future time.
/usr/share/doc/rpm-<version>/triggers for info on that.
Troy