[Yum] virtual provides resolution in "yum install"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Mar 3 20:37:22 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-02 at 14:49 -0500, Erik LaBianca wrote:

> Are there plans to support virtual provides resolution under "yum
> install"?
>
> For instance, with apt, you can type "apt-get install 'perl(Net::DNS)'"
> and apt will say: "Selecting perl-Net-DNS for 'perl(Net::DNS)'" and then
> install perl-Net-DNS.
>
> Trying the equivalent with yum ("yum install 'perl(Net::DNS)'") results
> in yum saying "Cannot find a package matching perl(Net::DNS)"
>
> Yum obviously has the plumbing in place to handle this, since typing
> 	yum provides "perl(Net::DNS)"

RFE it, I'll add it to the new work, it won't ever show up in 2.0.X
though.

With regard to mach - yes I would like mach and yum to get together at
some point. I don't want it happening on the .hdr dependent code.

The new metadata should make it much much better for resolving lots of
deps, including srpms.

onward and upward, or something :)