[Yum] yum 1.0.3 and sendmail from RHEL 3 Update 2

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Tue Jun 15 20:40:45 UTC 2004

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 01:33:18PM -0700, Enice Eugene Bradley wrote:
> Recently, I upgraded a Dell 2650 server running Red Hat Enterprise Linux
> (RHEL) 3 Update 1 to RHEL 3 Update 2 via yum 1.0.3.
>
> Upon reboot, however, I found that /usr/lib/sendmail was renamed to
> /usr/lib/sendmail.sendmail.  This caused some cron jobs
> that utilize sendmail to break; I resolved by relinking the rogue link
> back to /usr/lib/sendmail.
>
> Does this issue have anything to do with yum, the sendmail RPM on RHEL 3
> Update 2, or the version of RPM in use on the server before the upgrade
> (rpm-4.0.4-7x.20.i386.rpm)?  I checked yum's Bugzilla database but found
> nothing on RHEL or any issues regarding updates or (in my case) upgrades
> via yum 1.0.3.

It's virtually impossible for this to be a yum bug.  Yum does not
directly muck with any files other than those in /var/cache/yum and
the bootloader stuff.  This could be an rpm issue, but I find it more
likely to be a buggy package.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G