[Yum] First Run...: Yum.conf....& command..please advise if correct

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Jun 15 08:45:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 23:44, Sanjay Arora wrote:
> Problem is I don't want sendmail installed....I think it will interfere
> with qmail operation. Does Yum report somewhere what requires a
> particular package? I can uninstall that and yum can forget about
> sendmail!

net-snmp is unlikely to actually need sendmail - what it needs is an MTA
or maybe an smtpdaemon, which will be a virtual package provided by
several other packages (such and sendmail & postfix in the main
distribution, or exim as an example of an external package).

What you really need to do is make sure your qmail package provides the
appropriate things - or if you are installing directly from source live
with the fact that your system dependencies are going to be shafted
because there is stuff on the system that rpm does not know about.

> Does that mean my rpm database has some problem as it is not disclosing
> what requires sendmail?

Well your rpm database is likely to be inconsistent - we really should
rename the --nodeps switch to be
--nodeps-and-i-really-do-realise-this-will-fuck-my-system-and-i-will-take-the-consequences since it might just stop people using --nodeps all the time.

You may be able to install sendmail and configure it off plus replace
the /usr/sbin/sendmail symlink to point at qmail (so the 2 don't
interfere with one another) - you should look at alternatives (the
package) to see how to set the links to your MTA).

You could also see if you could find out what it is that has the
sendmail deps - try
	rpm -q --whatrequires smtpdaemon

Not sure how things are with RH9 but you may find there are a lot of
packages that need that - for example cron may do, and several other
packages in the base install.

	Nigel.