[Yum] Re: Usernames, Passwords and yum

Brian bwaichu at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 9 22:24:46 UTC 2004

My biggest concern over having company specific repos
is that you set up a box with a open port that updates
all your other boxes.  And you have no encryption
through YUM.  If the FTP server is misconfigured in
anyway, you have a serious security problem.

If the YUM box is at all accessible outside of the
company, then anyone can possibly modify your RPMs.
When you go and update, all your boxes now have the
modified RPMs installed, which can create a company
wide security problem.

My biggest security fear now is a distributed denial
of service via "spyware".  Imagine if someone were to
modify the spyware distributed on Yahoo! to do an
immediate denial of service attack on a target.  If
you can imagine the large number of folks that hit
Yahoo! every hour, that would bring down the target
quickly.  If the spyware was created with a good
polymorphing ability, then you couldn't locate it
through pattern searching.

Brian