[Yum] Re: Usernames, Passwords and yum

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Jun 9 16:07:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 02:48:15AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-08 at 23:33 -0700, Michael Stenner wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 11:17:36PM -0400, Tom Diehl wrote:
> > > Unless they have root access they already cannot run yum.
> >
> > Well, they can run "yum list" and "yum search", etc.  But basically, I
> > agree with you.  yum has limited value as a user app.
>
> It's not obvious to me what the benefit of yum is to a user who is not
> the admin. I guess they can query packages and look for info but if
> they're not going to install/remove/update something I don't really see
> the point of a user dealing with it.

I agree completely.  I have run it as a user before (in phy) just to
see what was "available" or because I knew you were using some of the
same repos I had at home.  Things like that.  Very limited
user-usefulness.  I do not see this as a problem at all.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G