[Yum] can yum install source rpms?

Michael Stenner mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
Mon Jun 7 15:56:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 11:12:37AM -0400, Aaron Bennett wrote:
> Can yum do something similar to apt-get source <package> which installs
> the source rpm for a package if it can find it?  I'm guessing, from the
> man yum and man yum.conf, the answer is no.

That is correct.  Currently, yum cannot fetch and install source rpms.

> Is this a design decision?

No.  It's a result of finite programmer-hours and higher priorities.
Nobody seems interested enough to implement it.  Take a browse
through the archives (use the "site:lists.dulug.duke.edu" trick on
google to search) for a little more detail.

					-Michael
  Michael D. Stenner                            mstenner at ece.arizona.edu
  ECE Department, the University of Arizona                 520-626-1619
  1230 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, AZ 85721-0104                 ECE 524G