[Yum] why does yum have to fail when one repository fails?

Carwyn Edwards carwyn at carwyn.com
Sun Jun 6 17:51:36 UTC 2004

Michael Stenner wrote:

> Another example:  lets say I run a custom kernel on a cluster of
> machines.  I keep that kernel in my local repo.  It takes me some time
> to patch and update it when a new kernel comes out so it lags the
> stock kernels.  If my repo is down one day, poof, I have a kernel that
> breaks my cluster.

Is this a valid counter example?:

Lets say on that same day upstream released a security update which was
_really_ important to ship to all machines. Lets then say that I had
exclude=kernel in all the respository definitions apart from my local
repository.

If yum did have "carry on if a repositroy is unavailable support" would
the end result not be: all my machines would have the security update
and would _not_ have the upstream kernel that I did not want?

.. or have I missed something?

Carwyn