[Yum] possible bug

Nathanael Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Tue Jun 1 16:41:00 UTC 2004

On Monday, May 31, 2004, at 09:30 PM, seth vidal wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-05-28 at 10:24 -0700, Nathanael Noblet wrote:
>> Hello,
>>     Before I submit a bug report I figured I'd email the list with the
>> problem I am experiencing. I have a system recently installed
>> (Tao-linux->RHEL 3.0 clone). Everything works normally as far as I can
>> see. My problem comes from the fact that I want a new version of MySQL
>> installed. I grabbed the official MySQL src rpms (4.0.18, and 4.0.20).
>> Recompiled and installed via rpm -Uvh. No problems. Now when I do a
>> yum
>> update I get
>>
>> ... MySQL-Max requires MySQL >= 4.0
>
> is this, verbatim, the error, or are you modifying it in some way? Also
> what is MySQL-Max?

This is verbatim. MySQL-Max is an add on package that comes with the
MySQL packages from MySQL. It includes some of the more advanced
database systems like InnoDB which is ACID compliant etc...

> is MySQL or something providing it installed? This doesn't sound like a
> yum dep resolution error it sounds like a packaging bug, so far.

Well you'd think so, but here's the question then, why doesn't rpm -Uvh
complain??

I also need to state again that I realize there are packages that
require recompilation like perl-DBI & php, which I've done. The problem
I'm having is with yum after I install from my personal repo these
MySQL packages and ask for a yum update.

This may very well be a packaging problem. The thing is, it can't
entirely be, since well rpm -Uvh or rpm -i doesn't complain about the
dependancies, though I guess I haven't tried to upgrade from the
mysql-3.23 packages to these, but still. If I need to modify the .spec
file for the MySQL packages that is fine as well. I just think there is
a subtle problem I can't figure out.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet
Gnat Solutions