[Yum] a yum question

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Thu Jul 29 18:42:50 UTC 2004

Juan Fernandez wrote:

> Hi.
>

> I installed yum on a server and issued the command "yum update"
>

> Does it upgrades only the packages installed or it upgrades all the
> rpm in the distribution regardless of what I installed ?
>

> I am asking because when I installed RH 9 I didn't installed sendmail
> for example, and when I ran yum update I saw in the command output
> something about sendmail...
>

> And I asked myself what yum is doing because I didn't installed send mail.
>

> Then I tried rpm -q and I received that an answer that sendmail Is
> installed!!!

RedHat can be a bit sneaky with sendmail. You may think that it wasn't
installed when you installed the system but i betcha that it was.

Run 'rpm -qa --last|grep sendmail' and that will give you the date that
all of your rpms were installed. Check the date for sendmail and that
will tell you if it got installed recently by yum - or if it got
installed when the system was installed.

pantz

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!