[Yum] confusion with installing 3rd party kernel modules

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jul 28 05:40:22 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 28, 2004 at 01:09:50AM -0400, seth vidal alleged:

> > > Something very strange is going on here.  In the examples below, ibmasm, gm,
> > > and pvfs are all 3rd party modules that I'm packaging in the exact same way.
> >
> > OMG, I think it's random... I just did 'yum -u update' 6 times in a row, and
> > 3 module packages finally installed!
> >

> I'm thinking we're getting some odd interaction with the install versus
> update mode to the transaction set and however these are being ordered
> then compared for conflicts.

Any suggestions on what I can do?

If I can't solve this, I'll just have to build the packages with version
strings in the module filename and hardlink them to the real name in %post.

Funny thing about this problem, I can't figure out how to test it using 'rpm'
directly.  The way deps work out, both the user-space and the kernel module
packages need to be installed in the same transaction... but how do you update
one package and install the second at the same time with 'rpm'?

University of Southern California