[Yum] hmmm my yum ate my computer.

Troy Johnson troy.johnson at myrealbox.com
Mon Jul 26 12:37:24 UTC 2004

bruce wrote:
> so...
> in other words...to really use yum effectively, you need to have a
> "reasonable" amount of knowledge about repositories (which ones are
> good/bad), about rpm files, about your system...

No! You need to use the Yum RPM that came with your distribution and
keep the default repositories listed in the configuration file. Then you
should complain to the producers of that distribution when something
goes wrong. A "basic user" should not be changing the default
configuration and does not have the technical knowledge to divine
whether a problem originates in Yum or in the repositories listed in its
configuration file.

If the default Yum configuration is not sufficient, then the
distribution itself is not meant for the "basic user" you refer to.

To your point, yeah, a magic program that would fix all a distributions
  broken packages, broken dependencies, and poor user choices would be
great. Unfortunately for the "basic user", but fortunately for me, Yum
has chosen an achievable task and is available today.

Thanks much to all you Yum building folks,

Troy