[Yum] Re: about yum

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Sun Jul 25 18:22:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, [gb2312] ÕŹúÈÙ wrote:

> hi guys
> i must use yum to update my fedora core1 everyday
> but yum system is always can't differentiate update upgrade and install, when i want to yum upgrade package it will be install a new kernel.

Yum differentiates between update and install very well. You just do not
understand why it does this. Normally yum will update a package when told to
do so. The kernel however is different. If you update a kernel and for some
reason the new kernel will not boot you now have a machine that will not boot.
If you install a new kernel beside the existing kernel(s) and something
happens that the new kernel will not boot, it is a simple matter of selecting
the old kernel from the boot menu to get the machine going again. You can then
figure out why the new kernel would not work, while your machine is running the
old kernel. It is possible to override this behavior but not recommended. If
you still wish to do it I would suggest reading the man pages.

HTH,

Tom