[Yum] I installed YUM but can't find it!!!

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jul 21 17:24:25 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 01:18:29PM -0400, Gene Heskett alleged:
> On Wednesday 21 July 2004 09:46, Jerry Schromm wrote:
> >Hey I successfully installed YUM but I can't find it
> >anywhere. Am I missing something? Where is it located?
> >I would appreciate you letting me know. I just got
> >started with Linux. I am familiarizing fast. I am
> >doing it wituout any help so it took a day or two to
> >dial a lot of it in. Desensitize to it some. Ok let me
> >know about where the program resides after the
> >install. I looked everywhere it seems.
> >
> >Thanks
> >Jerry
> >
> The default install is in /usr/bin/yum, and you will probably need to
> be root to run it.
>
> Look at your $PATH environment setting (prompt#>echo $PATH) and see if
> its (/usr/bin) in there, it should be.

Something I mention to new linux users...

When you install an rpm, the concept of "where did this software install"
doesn't really apply anymore.  It is a holdover from your previous Windows/Mac
experience.  Software installed from an rpm is generally highly integrated into
the system, binaries are generally in /usr/bin, configuration files are
generally in /etc, docs are generally in /usr/share/doc or /usr/share/man,
variable data is generally in /var, etc.

And of course, you can easily query the rpm database for just about anything.

University of Southern California