[Yum] need a good comparison between yum and rh, current, nrh , etc

Jolyon Ansuz jolyona at etrade.com.au
Thu Jul 15 00:31:39 UTC 2004

| mark_yum at tcu-inc.com asked...
| <snip>
| I have to give a presentation tommorrow trying to pursuade my company from
not
| using the RH Satellite server. I don't like it because their setup reminds
| me of tatics MS pulls. Their licensing scheme locks you into RH products
| and seems a bit too complicated. Also, I like yum. It is python and it
handles
| multiple repositories (this sold me).
| <snip>
| I am looking for good arguements to avoid using current, nrh-up2date, and
| of course the RHN. Then I want to lean towards yum.
| <snip>

(Keeping an open mind, please remember apt-get in your debate.)

1. yum is free and open source servers.
2. yum can be scheduled automatically and logs produced.
3. yum can be scheduled for reports and then acted upon manually if security
is of concern.
4. yum will do the job of RHN without the gui/crap so it can be remotely
administered.
5. yum has quick support and manual intervention if and when necessary.
6. yum does not maintain product license like RHN

hmm, anything else?

Jolyon Ansuz
Network & Systems Administrator
E*TRADE Australia

Phone: 61 2 9253 5439
Fax: 61 2 9247 4599
Email: jolyona at etrade.com.au
Level 1, 10 Bridge Street, Sydney NSW 2000

"It's your money"

This message contains confidential information, text and occasionally
pictures. It is intended only for the individual named or the spam group
targetted.  If you are not the named addressee, spam receipient or sitting
near a window in a moonbeam you should not have recieved this, then again
maybe you should have. You were logged receiving this email so don't try to
pretend it never happened. Please notify the sender immediately by fax,
mail, express courier or courier pigeon if you have received this e-mail by
mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. Preferably, destroy your
computer. We do not pay ransoms nor negotiate with terrorists. We shoot to
kill.

E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, enebriated,
arrive late, be misguided and wayward, be incomplete or suffer a sudden
performance anxiety syndrome. It may or may not contain viruses.  The sender
therefore does not accept liability whatsoever for anything at all, period.
RTFM. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version along
with sufficient 100 points of ID to open a bank account. No electrons were
harmed in the making of this email. I redefine mercenary.

"It is not length of life but depth of life", Ralph Waldo Emerson