[Yum] FC1 upgrade from rh8, 2.6.7 kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 20:40:16 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 16:23, Michael Stenner wrote:
>On Sun, Jul 11, 2004 at 03:58:17PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Sunday 11 July 2004 14:17, Michael Stenner wrote:
>
>< snip confirmation of same libxml2 version and identical files >
>
>> So that all matches exactly..
>>
>> > 4) python -c 'import libxml2'
>> >    This should do nothing, but there's a good chance you'll get
>> > a traceback.
>>
>> Correct:
>> [root at coyote src]# python -c 'import libxml2'
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "<string>", line 1, in ?
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>>     import libxml2mod
>> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
>> undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed [root at coyote src]#
>>
>> And why do you say there is a good chance of a traceback?  Or
>> was that based on the above clip from the original post?
>
>Yes.  I was confirming that this is not a problem with the currently
>installed yum.  The problem is showing up any time you try to import
>libxml2.  This is a general python problem and not a yum problem.
> It just so happens that yum uses that module.  Don't worry.  I'm
> not abandoning you yet.
>
>> Any other suggestions short of formatting?, which I'd druther not
>> do, I'd have to rerip about 3 Gb of music, and chase down a DDS2
>> tape drive that still reads tapes to get all my family pix back.
>
>I'm extremely confident that this is some stupid file corruption or
>configuration error.  If you need to reinstall, it will be because
>it's just easier than tracking down the real problem.  In that case,
>your data should all be fine.  You can copy over to another hard
> drive temporarily or something.
>
>This still smells like a wacky python thing to me.  Do you have the
>PYTHONPATH environment variable set?

Apparently not, it (#>echo $PYTHONPATH) comes back empty except for
the cr/lf.  I'm quite fam with editing .bashrc, so what do I put in
there, the path to the 2.2 install it says its already useing?  That
would appear to be carrying coal to Newcastle, but whatdoIknow..

--
Cheers, & thanks Michael, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.