[Yum] FC1 upgrade from rh8, 2.6.7 kernels

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jul 11 19:58:17 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 July 2004 14:17, Michael Stenner wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 09:31:08PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> [root at coyote /]# yum update
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 22, in ?
>>     import yummain
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yummain.py", line 31, in ?
>>     import yumcomps
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/yumcomps.py", line 4, in ?
>>     import comps
>>   File "/usr/share/yum/comps.py", line 5, in ?
>>     import libxml2
>>   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
>>     import libxml2mod
>> ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so:
>> undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
>> [root at coyote /]#
>> ---------------
>> And I will categorically deny doing anything to my python install
>> that a yum update didn't do.  The only housekeeping I've done in
>> the last month was that I discovered I had 2 identically named qt
>> libraries, one in the qt3.3 tree, and one in the qt.3.1 tree, so
>> the 3.1 tree got nuked.  It wasn't in my ld.so.conf anyway.
>>
>> Addendum:  I have since attacked the python install verification
>> from many different angles, all of which confirm that the python
>> install isn't contaminated.  Yum has been removed and reinstalled
>> using the latest version also.
>>
>> Whats next here?
>
>Apologies if this is repetitious, but I'm not on the fedora list.
>
> 1) I trust you've applied your thorough integrity checks to the
>    libxml2-python package as well as the python package.
>
> 2) rpm -q libxml2-python
>    I have: libxml2-python-2.6.6-3

[root at coyote src]# rpm -q libxml2-python
libxml2-python-2.6.6-3

>3) md5sum /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so
>    md5sum /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py
>    I get: 001cfb1b9fc59a4adad7e14f82034aee
>           4437491aecc872b46adfc816e89ce579
I get:
[root at coyote src]# md5sum /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so
001cfb1b9fc59a4adad7e14f82034aee  /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so
and
4437491aecc872b46adfc816e89ce579  /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py

So that all matches exactly..

> 4) python -c 'import libxml2'
>    This should do nothing, but there's a good chance you'll get a
>    traceback.
Correct:
[root at coyote src]# python -c 'import libxml2'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2.py", line 1, in ?
    import libxml2mod
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libxml2mod.so: undefined symbol: xmlByteConsumed
[root at coyote src]#

And why do you say there is a good chance of a traceback?  Or
was that based on the above clip from the original post?

And yum is still getting a tummy ache as above over that.  I guess
I've got to get used to apt-get, at least its still working :(

Any other suggestions short of formatting?, which I'd druther not
do, I'd have to rerip about 3 Gb of music, and chase down a DDS2 tape
drive that still reads tapes to get all my family pix back.

Humm, I wonder if I have enough space on a second drive to grab those
two directories with rsync every night.  I'm stashing quite a
bit of the important stuff now on a second drive thats normally
only mounted for a 4Gb swap on it, leaving about 55Gb for other
uses, like rsync backups.  That partition is unmounted at the end
of the rsync runs, hopefully to protect it.

I'll investigate that tonight.  But first I need a way to shut rsync's
excessive verbiage down to a dull roar, I'm getting 5 megabyte emails
from it now, so I have to compact the localhost folder in kmail
about weekly else it gets too slow.

--
Cheers & Thanks Michael, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.