[Yum] sticky repositories

Michael Peterson peterson at chem.duke.edu
Tue Jul 6 21:50:32 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 16:59, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Suppose i need a package that's not in the official Fedora distribution.
> I find a repo which carries it. I add the repo to yum.conf. I run "yum
> install blah". I leave the repo in yum.conf uncommented.
> A week later i do a "yum install". Lo and behold, all of a sudden all
> packages from that newer repo which have a version number newer than the
> corresponding ones in the official Fedora distro will get downloaded and
> installed. Sometimes this is good (but very rarely), but more often this
> could wreak havoc to my system (it did happen).
>
> Currently, i have to add a repo to yum.conf, do a "yum install blah",
> then comment the repo out. I always have to play this comment in /
> comment out game every time i use a repo, otherwise i forget about the
> repos and the first "yum update" will make my system unrecognizable.

Sounds like having multiple config files and using the -c option to yum
might be an easier road for you.  (Provided all the repos you use play
nice with one another, that is.)  Then you could just have the base FC
repos in /etc/yum.conf and "yum update" should be safer for you than it
currently is.

Michael
--
Michael A. Peterson, PhD.
Computational Chemistry Systems Administrator