[Yum] Re: kernel-source arch

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Thu Jul 1 09:42:35 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 02:02:29AM -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> > Perhaps alowing always to switching from and to noarch? While
> > discussing whether i686 is better or worse than x86_64, noarch is
> > simply not comparable. If two packages with the same NEVR exist, but
> > are noarch and no-noarch ;), then it is definitely a bug in the repo
> > and yum should return "Error: hunt and kill the repo maintainer" ;)
>
> noarch isn't the hardest case, The one that has been biting users is
> some arbitrary program going from i386 to i586. Read back through this
> thread, some.

Yes, I know, but the two different policies (do exactarch or not)
apply to either i386/i686/athlon/x86_64 comparisons (glibc) or
noarch/rest (kernel-source(code)). So having noarch uncomparable to
the true archs solves the issues at hand (e.g. what is in the subject
line to this thread :).

> Hard to have your cake and eat it too, without making the code horrible.

Code is by definition horrible. If it looks good, it doesn't do
anything useful. ;)

said he and went to hide in the woods with the cake under his arm
... ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net