[Yum] yum mis-behaving

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Sat Jan 24 15:16:47 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-24 at 10:17, Eli wrote:
> I'm seeing yum hang & choke on my systems.  Any clues as to why?  Anything I
> should experiment with?
>
> Here is a common case:
> [root at shield yum]# yum -d8 upgrade
> Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
> Server: Fedora Core 1 - i386 - Base
> CacheDir: /var/cache/yum/base
> Getting header.info from server
> failover: baseURL = http://fedora.redhat.com/releases/fedora-core-1
> failover: path = /headers/header.info
> [....sit here for a minute or two...]
> headerinfofn: /var/cache/yum/base/header.info
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/usr/bin/yum", line 60, in ?
>     yummain.main(sys.argv[1:])
>   File "yummain.py", line 188, in main
>   File "clientStuff.py", line 766, in get_package_info_from_servers
>   File "clientStuff.py", line 103, in HeaderInfoNevralLoad
> ValueError: unpack list of wrong size
> [root at shield yum]#
>
> I also see it get stuck while downloading a package to upgrade.

This is in the archives - the mirror you are using is overloaded.
Instead of handing back a valid header.info file for this repository it
is handing back garbage.

use a different mirror. Also the latest daily release of yum catches the
error but it can't fix the problem. - the problem is with your mirror.