[Yum] Re: update or upgrade?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Fri Jan 23 16:09:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 08:50:06AM -0500, seth vidal alleged:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 04:54, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > In article <1074841169.19585.27.camel at binkley>,
> > seth vidal <yum at lists.dulug.duke.edu> wrote:
> > >
> > > update = get new versions of what is installed and any new dependencies
> > > you need
> > >
> > > upgrade = get new versions of what is installed -but look to see what
> > > packages obsolete what you have installed and get them.
> >
> > So why is "upgrade" deprecated in the man page, and threatened with
> > future removal? It seems like pretty important functionality to me,
> > when used correctly. I successfully used it to upgrade a RH9 box to FC1.
>
> My plan is to add in an option to let it say --obsoletes.
>

> so you can run: yum --obsoletes=[0|1] update
>
> and we get rid of the confusion about update and upgrade. :)
>
> does that make sense to you?

I know it's just my opinion, but I prefer the seperate commands.  Updating a
few packages and upgrading the entire distro are two very different actions,
and should be reflected as such by the differing commands.  The confusion is
just a documentation problem.  Maybe change the command to borrow from debian's
terminology and use "distupgrade".

University of Southern California