[Yum] Update strategy, header extraction

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Jan 15 20:38:55 UTC 2004

On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 02:27:30PM -0500, seth vidal alleged:
> > The current strategy is as I see it: base, then update.
> > Can this be made a more complex tree? The reason for this is as follows:
> > The briQ is a PPC Open Firmware general industrial computer, which uses
> > basically the same kernel as Apples machines, but sometimes the kernel
> > misbehaves because the briQ has neither keyboard nor monitor. And
> > sometimes this is not adequately tested for by the kernel folks.
> >
> > What I need is YUM to say: check YDL-base, then YDL-update and then
> > Total Impact -update.
>
> make multiple repositories in a yum.conf and have them all in order.
> I think that's what you're describing.

I think you might be looking for pkgpolicy=last in your yum.conf.  From the
manpage:

       pkgpolicy=[newest|last]
              Default:  newest.   Package  sorting  order.   When a package is
              available from multiple servers, newest will  install  the  most
              recent  version of the package found. last will sort the servers
              alphabetically by serverid and install the version of the  pack-
              age  found  on  the  last  server in the resulting list.  If you
              don’t understand the above then you’re best left  not
including            this option at all and letting the default occur.

I use this is ensure that official RH updates never overwrite rpms in a local
repo.

University of Southern California