[Yum] Re: [Cooker] YUM repository for Mandrake cooker?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu Jan 15 14:33:36 UTC 2004

On 15 Jan 2004 15:01:18 +0100
Guillaume Cottenceau <gc at mandrakesoft.com> wrote:

> Nicholas Brown <nicbrown at cisco.com> writes:
>
> > (No, I'm not trying to start a yum v urpm holy war, so please, no
> > flames.)
>
> Without an holy war, I'd like to know why you be interested in
> yum since urpmi is available and easy for cooker?

Guillaume,

I just migrated from Mandrake 9.1 to Mandrake 9.2.  To get yum-2.0.4
installed I have to update a variety of packages.  Once it was
installed, "yum upgrade" cranked for a while figuring out dependencies,
downloaded several hundred packages totally hundreds of MB, and
installed them.

In the past I've used urpmi for the same task.  The process consisted of
selecting a package to update, running urpmi, saying "yes" to the list
of packages it listed, waiting for the download, and repeating all
steps.

I found the single yum command to be much easier.

David