[Yum] Upgrading Gnome with Yum?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Jan 14 12:48:19 UTC 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 19:32:06 +1300
"Lucas Young" <lucas at digitalus.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi
> I have a Red Hat 9 install and due to some overzealous fiddling my
> taskbar applet in Gnome is broke, so I thought I would upgrade to
> Gnome 2.4. I freaked at the list of packages required and wondered -
> can yum do this upgrade for me? How would I do this?
>
> cheers
>
> Lucas

Hi Lucas,

It should work.

I've used yum to upgrade Mandrake 9.1 to Mandrake 9.2 (a process that
included upgradign Gnome 2.2 to Gnome 2.4).  The final step "yum
upgrade" downloaded 500 or so packages totalling 550MB (or so).  It took
a while, but worked fine.

The command probably is "yum install gnome2" or something very similar.

Enjoy!

David