[Yum] Security tracker

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Jan 12 16:02:36 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:58, Jan van den Berg wrote:
> Hi there all,
>

> I stumbled onto the Yum website because I was looking for a way to
> keep track of advisories and updates.
>
> Yum seems like a good way to actually update your server or servers.
>
> But my motto is; when it aint broke don’t try to fix it (and also not
> all vulnerabilities are always applicable to your machine).
>
> So what Im looking for is a way to check the latest advisories and
> compare them with my system setup (ie. by using RPM headers),
>
> and then decide whether to update or not.
>
> To which extent is Yum capable of doing this or who had
> tips/suggestions on how to tackle this problem?

yum doesn't have any knowledge of the security advisories b/c
1. they're not in a standard format
2. they're not accessible through any standard mechanism
3. they're not part of the rpm package metadata

Having said all that, if you could solve any 1 of the above problems I
would personally be interested.