[Yum] Yum large files, Getright and server busy ... busy ... busy ...

Colin Beckingham colbec at ca.inter.net
Sun Jan 11 16:02:02 UTC 2004

I have managed in the recent past to maintain my RH9 installation with yum
including large files such as kernel downloads. However I am on a dialup
connection, and large files are a problem in that there is a high likelihood
that the checksum will fail and the download has to start from the
beginning. This is inconvenient to say the least if the download has
successfully retrieved 30 MB of 37 and it starts from the beginning again.

So the last couple of large files I have obtained on a windows machine with
getright (which was able to pause/resume on command), and moving the
resulting file to the yum cache. Getting kernel 20-27 from the default
repository worked well for this. However I cannot seem to get kernel 20-28
files using this method. The server reports to getright that it is busy,
however if I try a non-getright download it will go ahead consistently.

Has there been a change of policy at the dulug repository? Please set me
straight if what I am attempting is somehow not allowed/unadvisable.