[Yum] Creating yum repository on Debian

javier at rediris.es javier at rediris.es
Thu Jan 8 11:24:45 UTC 2004

> I'd like to create a yum repository and host it on
> a Debian (stable) machine.  Using rsync/wget/etc is
> no problem, however I'd like to be able to add packages.
> This would require a functional yum-arch.
>
> Debian's rpm stuff doesn't have the python
> /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/rpmmodule.so file
> (part of the rpm-python-4.0.4-7x.18 package on my
> Red Hat 7.3 box, for example) which pretty much kills
> yum-arch.
>
> Before I go trying to find source and compiling it myself,
> I thought I'd ask if anyone has already been down this
> road successfully.

Although my case is quite different, I suggest you just extract the
rpmmodule.so file from a rpm-python package and use it. We have the
repository on a Solaris machine with rpm 4.0.2 from Rutgers university
(it includes the python module), and python 1.6 from solaris freeware.
The only problem is a warning message from python, telling that the
rpm module is compiled for other python API (1.5). But the whole yum
and the module works very good.
Although I guess that any rpm-python from 4.0.x series should work with any
4.0.x rpm binary, I think is much safer to get a rpmmodule from the same
rpm version you run.

							Javier Palacios