[Yum] upgrading fc1 to 2.6 kernel

Jeff Johnson jbj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 26 20:18:05 UTC 2004

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:03:33PM -0600, James Scott wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 13:50, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> > > I am certain this will be "very helpful".
> > >

> > Not intended to help ;-)
> >
> > Point yum at the fc2 devel by adding to /etc/yum.conf:
> >     [rawhide]
> >     name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Unreleased Updates
> >     baseurl=http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/i386
> >
> > Then type
> >     yum upgrade kernel
> >
> > Try rebooting. If you succeed, well, there you have it. Otherwise bailto
> > the 2.4.22 kernel.
> >
> > But do all the above "Very carefully." please.
> >
> > 73 de Jeff
> Thank you and point taken.  I did the yum upgrade kernel but did not
> have the "bleeding edge repository in the yum.conf.  Do you know of one
> that is a little more behind the curve or maybe the edge is the place to
> be right now. Just being careful.

Noted. ;-)

The kernel in the fc2 devel is pretty stable afaik right now, I don't
think you will have problems with stability. OTOH, the fc2 kernel
might not have the drivers or functionality that you need. YMMV.

If you do move forward "carefully", there's a couple or 10 packages
thqat you probably want to upgrade also. initscripts comes instantly
to mind, and, if installed by "yum upgrade initscripts", will probably
drag in exactly what you need and nothing else.

rpm -qa --last will list the packages that you have upgraded in case you want/need
to bail.

73 de Jeff

--
Jeff Johnson	ARS N3NPQ