[Yum] cache location of header.info

matt whiteley mattw at cat.pdx.edu
Wed Feb 25 23:34:29 UTC 2004

I posted this to the list about 10 days ago and it was never the subject
of discussion.  I was wondering if anyone could explain the location of
these files to me.

I am interested in why there is a difference in the location of the
header.info file created by yum-arch and accessed by yum relative to the
  directories.

I run 'yum-arch .' and then my dir looks like:
headers/foo.rpm.hdr
headers/foo2.rpm.hdr
headers/header.info
packages/foo.rpm
packages/foo2.rpm

/var/cache/yum/repository contains:
headers/foo.rpm.hdr
headers/foo2.rpm.hdr
packages/foo.rpm
packages/foo2.rpm
header.info

So the header.info file is in the root of the repository directory vs
inside the header directory.  There may be a good reason for this and
for our situation we have a work around, but I wanted to ask here.

We export the yum repository via nfs and automount it on the lab boxes.
  We then put file:/nfs/mount in yum.conf and link /var/cache/yum to
/nfs/mount also.  Then running 'yum -C update' works.  The lab boxes
then don't have to have a local cache.  The only thing that needs to
change is I symlink headers/header.info -> header.info on the yum
repository so that the cache appears correct.

thanks,

--
matt whiteley <mattw at cat.pdx.edu>