[Yum] yum daily 2.0.X branch - "I broke my promise"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Feb 23 21:58:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 16:57, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> Some bad news though - it appears that yum now segfaults whenever I try
> to install something located in the base-fedora repo (ie. stuff that yum
> got the headers for from the hdlist file).
>
> This happens with 'yum install abiword', and 'yum install subversion'
> (which are both in the base fedora distro and do not have updates).
> This does not segfault when installing something that is in the updates
> repo, ie. 'yum install vnc'.
>
> If I clear out all the headers from /var/cache/headers/base-fedora and
> then set nocomps=0 in yum.conf,

you mean set usecomps=0, right? Otherwise you're still getting the
headers from comps.

> it goes out and downloads all the
> headers, and then these packages are installed just fine (yum does not
> segfault).  This leads me to believe that somehow the headers are screwy
> (maybe missing something?) when they are obtained from the hdlist.  To
> confirm this, I uninstalled the packages, installed yum version 2.0.5
> (not daily), and tried to do a 'yum install subversion' while using the
> headers that were generated from the hdlist file (ie. I left there there
> after uninstalling the yum daily).  yum 2.0.5 also segfaulted when doing
> this install.  It worked fine when using the headers located in the
> base-fedora repo.
>
> Let me know if you need any more info.
>
> -Jeff
>
> -------------------
> .Dependencies resolved
> I will do the following:
> [install: subversion 0.32.1-1.i386]
> I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
> [deps: neon 0.24.3-1.i386]
> Is this ok [y/N]: y
> Running test transaction:
> Test transaction complete, Success!
> Segmentation fault

odd - at the point where you're segfaulting the headers have already
been HEAVILY used.

Can you turn up the debug level and give me some more info.

I tested this on fc1 and fc2 and it worked fine for installs for both.