[Yum] Yummy: the Yum repository manager

David Farning dfarning at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 23 13:42:43 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 01:43 +0200, Tomas Junnonen wrote:

> - It can calculate an optimal mirror for Fedora Core users for the
>    updates and base channels from among 130 sites. It doesn't take
>    too long either.
> Regards,
> Tomas
Good start ;)  The hurdles that I am facing working on something
similar.

What is an optimal mirror?

Shortest physical path? Saves network bandwidth.

Server in same country as client?  Some user are billed more for out of
country downloads?

Total server bandwidth capability?  Total load the sever can handle.

Current Available bandwidth? Is the server reached it's bandwidth Limit?

Server number user limit? How many users can the server handle?

Current number of user on server? Is the server at it's max user limit?

upToDateness(TM)?  How many hours is the server behind the primary
server?

Security?  Can we trust the mirror.

I think that these issues need to be looked at carefully before
releasing something like yummy on the world.  Most of the mirrors are
mirroring out of generosity to open source movement.  We really don't
want to take advantage of them by abusing their mirrors.

Dave Farning