[Yum] yum daily 2.0.X branch - "I broke my promise"

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Mon Feb 23 07:37:59 UTC 2004

Hi,
 So, I said something, to someone, at some point, about not adding new
things to 2.0.X and just moving ahead. Well it looks like I won't be
able to hit the freeze for fedora core 2 for the new metadata-enabled
yum. It just isn't in the cards. So instead I decided to do a number of
hacks to 2.0.X that are landed or intended for HEAD.

So here they are:
--exclude= - on the command line - let's you add global excludes, one
package name or package glob per --exclude= - you can specify it
multiple times.

--download-only - yes - I know - at long last - it will just download
the packages then exit - it's up to you to go find them. This is also
available under [main] in the yum.conf file.

bootloader=0|1 - lets you specify whether you want yum to muck with your
bootloader or not. A couple of caveats. As of right now grubby does most
of the heavy lifting for kernel updating - it's called from the kernel
packages %post on fedora core, red hat and yellowdog systems. If you do
not have a reasonably recent grubby then it doesn't support lilo
reconfiguration. If you are one of these people AND you're running lilo
do NOT set bootloader to 0. It won't hurt anything, but it won't add ANY
entries to your lilo.conf - not only not just making them the default.

- ryan fixed the urlgrabber not properly escaping password/username
configurations

- fixed a couple of problems where the lockfile error handling didn't
work on non-english systems.

I also made one hack that should speed up a lot of people's initial
runs. If you have the hdlist and/or hdlist2 in (by default) /usr/share/
comps/$basearch/ then yum will look in those for the headers it needs
when it first runs. If it can find them then it will write them out to
its header cache. This is being done as a temporary and fairly-icko hack
until the new metadata work is ready. The benefit is that for the first
run of yum this will have a big benefit to people on slow connections or
with goofy mirrors.

You can set the path to the hdlist and hdlist2 files by setting:
hdlist =/some/path/to/the/hdlist
hdlist2 =/some/path/to/hdlist
in [main]

if you'd like to disable this entirely just set:
usecomps=0

under [main]

ok - so that's the gist of the changes:
Tarball:
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.0/daily/yum-20040223.tar.gz

Source rpm:
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.0/daily/yum-2.0.5-20040223.src.rpm

RPM - built on fedora core 2, test 1 (ish):
http://linux.duke.edu/yum/download/2.0/daily/yum-2.0.5-20040223.noarch.
rpm

let me know what I broke, I'm sure it was a lot.