[Yum] conflict between ghostscript and foomatic

Cliff Kent cliff at villagevisions.com
Thu Feb 19 19:18:51 UTC 2004

Seth,

 >> ok Here is the problem I'm seeing right now:
 >> 1. I can't replicate this behavior at all
 >> 2. I don't have anyone else replicating this

Well... actually I'd say that's the good news.<g> As long as it doesn't
come back and bite someone else.<s>

Now that I've run rpm -e a few times, etc. And had a yum update run that
seemed ok. I'm less worried and may even take yum off the exclude list.
The recovery wasn't fun but it wasn't rocket science either.

As for others not reporting it...

I had some updates installed and some not installed. I only noticed the
problem because foomatic did upgrade and ghostscript didn't. After that
yum kept pointing out that the situation was not acceptable.

If I had only had new versions installed w/o removing the old ones, I
have no idea how I'd have discovered it.

replicating...

One other box that might have done the same thing looks ok so far.
Others are in production and I will check each.

If the problem is related to interrupted updates as Tuomo Soini
suggests, I won't be a natural test site from now on. I've had
unpredictable trouble with several FC1 update repositories. On more than
one occasion I've had to ^C out of a "hung download" of headers and/or
packages. I already have a FC1 base repository in-house. I'll be adding
a private mirror for updates this weekend.

 >> so I need some more info:
 >> 1. can you make this happen on any other machine?

Not yet but I'll try. Having my own updates repository should let me
build a test case. I promise to take better notes.

 >> 2. can you send me an rpm -qa | sort - preferably into bugzilla.

Yes and no. I've never taken the time to figure out bugzilla. I
downloaded the docs, but haven't had the time to read it all. How about
private e-mail with attachments to keep it all off the list?

I have 6 files:

Feb 19 10:20 /var/log/rpmpkgs
Feb 14 08:01 /var/log/rpmpkgs.1
Feb  6 08:20 /var/log/rpmpkgs.2
Jan 23 09:11 /var/log/rpmpkgs.3
Jan 15 12:07 /var/log/rpmpkgs.4
/root/yum.log excerpt

The last is an annotated excerpt from yum.log for the problem update run
- noting which packages updated w/o erase and which ones didn't update.

I haven't tried to digest them all, but the Feb 14 rpmpkgs.1 shows the
error condition clearly. The older ones may tell why.

thanks,

Cliff Kent