[Yum] Using yum as a dependency resolution component

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Thu Feb 19 16:14:15 UTC 2004

Sergei Mikhailov said:
> Thanks Seth. I need this functionality fairly soon, so I would like to
> ask for your opinions on the following questions. While I am waiting for
>  yum v3, what can be done in the meantime. 1) What do you think of
> parsing  yum's output as a temporary alternative? 2) Are there other
> tools that may do that? 3) What is the timeline for this feature to
> become available? and 4) Since I seems to be the only one that needs it
> right now, what can I do to make this happen faster?

If I understand it correctly, you have a list of packages that are
installed on a box.  You want to take this list and install all of these
packages on another box.  You want the user to be able to edit the list
and add packages, and have yum or some other tool automatically add the
dependencies that the user-added packages have when the packages are
installed on the new box.

Given that, why not just take the editted list of packages and use yum to
install it on the new box?  Then the user can add a single package and the
dependencies are automatically added during the install.  The list will be
incomplete once the user edits it, but it's still usable to accomplish the
goal of installing all of the right packages.

Eric.