[Yum] Using yum as a dependency resolution component

Sergei Mikhailov sergei at gwu.edu
Thu Feb 19 01:30:32 UTC 2004

While I have been using yum the way it was intended for about a month
now, I am interested in exploring a possibility of using yum as a
dependency resolution "component," as part of a larger system.

I have a way to textually specify system  installation. Part of it lists
all the packages installed on the system. The idea is that an any given
time the textual representation if valid. Now, suppose a use edits this
representation and adds one more package to the list. If I am to take
this new representation and install a machine based on it, I would have
no guarantee that it will be stable, because the user might not have
specified all the dependent packages. To prevent this problem,  I would
like to provide an interface to the user to modify this textual
representation. When user tell the system that he wants to add one
package, the system might end up adding more to the list (textual
representation of the system configuration) after all the dependencies
are resolved.

Since yum already does dependency resolution I would like to use it.
Ideally, once the user specified the package he wants to add,
internally, I run "yum -C get_dependency_set <user_package>" and yum
returns, say:
"
<user_package>
<package1_that_user_package_also_needs>
<some_other_required_package>
"

I would like to run yum from cache, to make it a little faster. The
"get_dependency_set" is, obviously, not implemented yet.

What is the best way to achieve this?  If the community thinks that this
is a worthwhile flag to have, I would write the glue code necessary to
get this flag call yum's internal functions (once I figure out where
these functions are).

Once other way would be to run "yum install <package> and just parse
yum's output, since it has package information when it asks confirmation
questions. But his seems like a bad way.

-Sergei