[Yum] total yum newbie | RH 7.3 box | # packages?

Johnny Canuck cooch17 at verizon.net
Wed Feb 18 22:07:07 UTC 2004

At 04:42 PM 2/18/2004, Satish Balay wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Feb 2004, Johnny Canuck wrote:
>
> > Greetings -
> >
> > Various colleagues suggested trying yum to manage package upgrade on my RH
> > box (7.3). Since RH went corporate, up2date doesn't work for 7.3, and I
> was
> > looking for an alternative. Tried apt-get, with little success. Installed
> > yum, and am in the process of trying it out.
> >
> > So, I ran yum check-update. and after an hour of watching it continue to
> > download package after package (whether I wanted them or not), I kill the
> > process, and tried something more direct: say, update one single package.
>
>What you see here is the download of the yum database for the
>repository.  It consits of 'rpm header' info ( .hdr files - not .rpm
>files)

So I've noticed - thanks for the clarification.

>Once the header stuff is available locally - yum can check
>dependencies across all installed/installable packages - and then
>download the required rpm files.

I figured as much (after the fact) - I guess the related question then is
the 'analogous' to the RPM database the up2date (RH) uses? I presume it's
smart about headers, and from here on in downloads only those updated
headers that are needed for a particular package upgrade?