[Yum] YUM timing out trying to get updates from Fedora mirrors

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Wed Feb 18 04:51:52 UTC 2004

> > I've seen this as well.  I have several mirrors listed in yum.conf.
> > Since I'm still testing yum, I've been running it interactively.  When
> > this happens to me, I'm able to ^C, and the download restarts presumably
> > from another mirror.  I haven't checked this via netstat, but I think
> > that is what is happening.  Anyway, I don't know if this is a feature or
> > not, YMMV.
>
> Not an intentional feature, but handy to know.

I'd be surprised if that worked, but ok.

> Yum catches KeyboardInterrupts in most places.  Often you will see
> "Interrupted by user" or something.  If you instead see a traceback,
> then that should probably be considered a bug, and you can feel free
> to submit it to bugzilla.  Be sure to include the actual traceback so
> we can see where it happened.
>
> It is my humble opinion (and it may not be Seth's) that any time a
> user sees a traceback on stderr, it's a bug.  That said, it's often
> most efficient to "catch them as they come".  That is, don't try and
> anticipate all the crazy things that can happen.  Deal with them when
> they occur.

I think that expected and understood problems that traceback are a bug.
I think a horribly broken rpmdb or some other hideous seemingly-user-
created problem is not a bug and a traceback is the best way to learn
more about what sort of nightmare they've unleashed upon me. :)