[Yum] YUM timing out trying to get updates from Fedora mirrors

Jim McConnell jim at mcconnell.net
Tue Feb 17 21:24:59 UTC 2004

on 2/17/2004 6:23 AM Jürgen Möllenhoff said the following:

>>> For about 4 hours now without moving at all. I can still surf the
>>> internet, get email and download other things fine.

>> your connection to that server has flaked out or the server has flakwd
>> out.

> Is it possible to create some kind of timeout for the download, so that
> yum gives up when there is no response for an hour or so? In the moment
> yum sits there forerver with no response at all, in such a situation I
> must always kill yum manually.

I've seen this as well.  I have several mirrors listed in yum.conf.
Since I'm still testing yum, I've been running it interactively.  When
this happens to me, I'm able to ^C, and the download restarts presumably
from another mirror.  I haven't checked this via netstat, but I think
that is what is happening.  Anyway, I don't know if this is a feature or
not, YMMV.

Could a developer comment on this behavior?  Is it normal?

Also, as a "feature request", is it possible in python to do something
similar to a "trap"?  When I hit ^C, I often get a dump of what line in
the code I was at, etc.  Not a happy thing for most people to see, I'd
imagine.  Dumping that in the log might be useful...

I'm running yum 2.0.4.

-Jim

--
Jim McConnell <jim at mcconnell.net>