[Yum] YUM's shortcomings

Konstantin Ryabitsev icon at linux.duke.edu
Sun Feb 15 19:43:42 UTC 2004

On 15.02.2004 14:34, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> Yum has for now two serious shortcomings
>
> 1) It has no browser, even a curses based one.  You cannot, like
> with apt or urpmi, browse what is available,  select what you are
> interested in and have it installed
>
> 2) It does not deal with removable media.   Unlike what happens
> with apt or urpmi it will not prompt you for the CD containing
> what you need.  End result is that, since I have ADSL I often
> end downloading packages I have on CD but no heart for going
> through the ordeal of hunting dependencies on three CDs..
> Copying everything on hard
> disk is a possibility but there are still plenty of boxes with
> 5 to 10 G disks where using 20% or more of disk space for keeping
> packages is not an option.  And plenty of people who have huge disks
> (80g or more) and who are psychologically disturbed about keeping whole
> distros on disk.
>
> The problem of the huge download of headers is a PITA who only happens
> once.  The two problems I mentionned happen every day.
>
> Are there any plans to fix them?

I wouldn't mind seeing yum remain a network-based updater. With
various tools switching to using single repository format, you will
be able to use up2date or system-config-packages to browse
repositories and handle multiple removable media.

It's possible that this functionality will be added to yum in the
future, but I don't think it should be the number one priority, and
I disagree about these things being "major shortcomings." Yum is a
tool for performing specific tasks -- namely, keeping a machine
(most often unattended) updated via the network of available
repositories. This is the reason why user-level interaction is not
the primary focus of development.

Regards,
--
Konstantin ("Icon") Ryabitsev